Pages

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 4

For Two more weeks I will be posting all about New Zealand.Today is the Fourth day of week 2 for the summer learning Journey and the title for today is In The Beginning ( 1800-1870).  Here are all the links for today's Activity's Lloyd Trigg , Victoria cross , Victoria Cross Winners
Activity One: An Eventful Experience
  • 10 September: Canada declares war on Germany
  • 16 October: First German air raid on Britain
16 October: First German air raid on Britain
  1. At the same time there was a humongous Waterspout as high a the bridge they where on. Alongside a boat that came up beside them seemed to fly up in the air. In his later life he discovered that it was the HMS Southampton. There where two or three other explosions further off and one of the boat got hit. It was the HMS Mohawk and Casualties were sustained on board. The German bombers were in plan sight they were only a short distance away flying parallel to the bridge. Meanwhile the train stopped for a short time  and as it did so did the painters and riggers working scrambled from the scaffolding of the bridge and made a run for shelter.
10 September: Canada declares war on Germany

 2. A Recommendation for a Big announcement of war by Canada on Nazi Germany was announced in a speech made by Mackenzie King was in Ottawa, Ontario Canada at the time of his speech, it was Broadcast over the radio. There's also a Canadian announcement in the Canadian newspaper, the Canada Gazette. The announcement of war was made on the 10 September 1939 just seven days after the joint British and French announcement.


Activity Two: A Call to Arms 
Name: Keith Elliot
why he got the award: For his efforts at Ruweisat Ridge on 15 July 1942



Bonus Activity:Women At Work

One day I was walking along the deck of the ship when I heard a loud bang. I start to run as I see smoke coming from the far end of the ship. I run towards the room where my patients are waiting to receive there treatment from the doctor. Just as I arrive at the door to the room I hear another loud bang and I go inside to help my patients. Just at that point I hear another loud bang a it sounded very close. I start to give my patients there treatment when I hear  another loud band at it sounded even closer to the ship. I get through half of the patients when I feel the ship moving. We are all super relieved that we won't be any where close to the banging and we won't get any more injures in till we go out and fight the enemy's again. But then we here shooting going on a we don't know what it is from. A few minutes had pasted and the shooting was still going on. Then the captain of the army cam in and told us what was happening, We were all freaking out that enemy's had gotten onto our ship. But then we all calmed down and got back to what we were doing. I had just finished helping all the patients so I went outside to see some dead body's. When all the patients came out they were upset but knew that there world was in there hands. 






1 comment:

  1. Hi there Nici,

    Jade F here from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Good job on your set of activities. With activity #1, I thought you put in a lot of detail in the two events you’ve chosen. That shows me that you were really focussing on including as much information as you could in your summary. Good job! Maybe you could put your events in chronological order, which event happened first?

    In activity #2, well done on choosing Keith Elliot who won a Victoria Cross in 1942! Could you explain more to me about what he did to receive his Victoria Cross? I’m very curious to know more about what happened at Ruweisat Ridge. :)

    I am very impressed with your short story in your bonus activity. You describe your surroundings and feelings brilliantly. I felt like I was actually there on the ship as well!

    Looking forward to hearing from you and keep up the great blog posts!

    All the best,
    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.