Pages

Wednesday 4 December 2019

Week:1 Day:1 Summer Learning Journey Teaser Week Exploring Our Roots

Activity 2: Exploring Our Roots
Links: Taika WaititiRaukokore,pepeha.
Taika Waititi is a New Zealand filmmaker, director, actor, and comedian. He has produced and/or directed a number of popular films including “Boy,” “Hunt for the Wilderpeople” and “Thor: Ragnarok.” As a child, Taika Waititi lived in Raukokore (a small town on the East Coast of New Zealand). When he graduated from secondary school Taika moved to Wellington to study drama at Victoria University. Despite moving away from home, he has never forgotten his family or his roots (where he comes from). Speaking of roots, Taika comes from a culturally diverse family. His dad is Māori (Te Whānau-a-Apanui) and his mother is Russian-Jewish. I, on the other hand, am Pākeha (New Zealand European). Most of my ancestors come from England. When I talk about who I am and introduce myself to others, I sometimes use a pepeha.



Kia Ora Tātou
(English: Greetings All)

Ko Rimutaka Te Maunga
(English: Rimutaka Is the mountian)

Ko Wairoa Te Awa
(English: Wairoa Is the stream)

Nō Ōtautahi Ahau
(English: I am from Christchurch)


Ko Lidgett Tōku Whānau 
(English: Lidgett Is my family)

Ko Nici Tōku Ingoa
(English: I am Nici)





4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Nici!

    My name's Mikey. I'm a part of the Summer Learning Journey team and I'll be commenting on some of your wonderful blog posts. I don't know if you remember me but was a blog commenter for the Uru Manuka cluster last year as well and I remember reading some of your posts. It's so great to see that you've decided to take part in the programme again this year. :)

    Thank you for sharing your pepeha with us. It's such a lovely way for people to learn a little bit about you and where you're from. I really like listening to people's pepeha. Have you always lived in Christchurch? What's your favourite thing about living there?

    Well done on getting stuck into the teaser week activities. Remember that the programme officially starts on Monday (December 16th) so make sure you check out the Week 1 activities then. In the meantime, keep up the great teaser week blogging and I'm sure I'll talk to you again soon.

    Have the best day!

    Mikey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Mikey

      I would always come and be apart of the summer learning Journey each year that I can. Yea I do remember you from last year.

      Now I will answer your questions.
      1. Yes I have always lived in Christchurch.
      2. I like all of Christchurch I don't have a favorite part.

      Now If you don't mind I am going to ask you some questions
      1. What is the best thing about the SLJ?
      2. Why did you join the SLJ?

      That you for telling me when it starts.

      Have a wonderful Day :)

      Nici :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Nici,

      That's great to hear! I'm so glad that you enjoy the programme so much that you take part every year.

      Fair enough. Sometimes it can be hard to choose one thing. My favourite thing about my hometown is the beaches. Are there any beaches close to where you live?

      Hmm... the best thing about the Summer Learning Journey would have to be getting to see blog posts from learners from all over the country. I love seeing how creative you all are. I like learning different things about the world and people around us as well. A lot of the blog posts I see contain information that I didn't know before. What's your favourite thing about taking part in the programme?

      I joined the Summer Learning Journey because I think that it's a wonderful, meaningful way to keep learners engaged in their learning over the summer break. I know that it can be hard to keep up your reading and writing in the holidays so this is a fun way to help you do it. :)

      Thank you for your thoughtful questions.

      Have an awesome weekend, Nici.

      Bye for now,

      Mikey :)

      Delete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.