Pages

Sunday 29 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 2

Ki Ora Everyone for the next few weeks I will be posting blog posts continuously for something that is called the Summer Learning Journey. Today I am doing Week 2 Day 2. I will always put the links under this blurb so that you can go to the sites I had.

Activity 1. A Long Walk to Freedom
Nelson Mandela was an activist and civil rights leader who was born and raised in South Africa. For over 40 years (1948-1991), the country of South Africa had a political system called ‘apartheid’. This meant that there were different rules for people who had white skin than for those who didn’t. Nelson Mandela felt that this was very wrong and he fought for many years to change the law. Eventually he became the President of South Africa and ended apartheid, but not before spending 27 years in prison.In Robben Island prison (where Mandela spent 18 years), life was very tough. Mandela had a tiny, damp, concrete cell, with only a straw mat to sleep on. During the day he was forced to work in a quarry, breaking rocks into gravel. He was only allowed to see one visitor and receive one letter every six months. At night, Nelson read and studied to be a lawyer.
Monday. 
Wow, this cell is really boring, I hate sleeping and sitting on this bed it doesn't feel right.
well, I guess it's my fault for doing the crime. well today i did nothing like at all oh well. 
Tuesday. 
It gets even more boring each day your here I really don't want to be here anymore. Just got to finish my time then im free. Today i got to meet the cafe'a people their quiet nice 
Wednesday.
I regret everything i've ever done i just wanna leave.
well anyways today I got to meet the people that are in the same hall and me theres not many but oh well.

Thursday.
Can I just leave now it's so boring. away from my family Just want to leave.
Today I got made to be put in a tiny room  with a Councillor  to find out why I did what I did, I don't even know why i did it. 
Friday 
Can I leave on sunday No its sad and boring here?
Today I finilay got a good meal they gave me Meat pies and chips. I mean it might not be good, but its good enough for me. 

Saturday.
WHY DID I DO THE CRIME INSTANT REGRET!
Well today I got to leave my cell for yard time they only ever do it on saturday its quiet boring but I guess I'll get throught it. 
Sunday.
I WANT TO LEAVE AHHHHH
But today I finally got to have a shower it wasn't a propper shower it was just a hose down but its better than nothing just a few more Years to go I hope. 

 Activity 2.School Strike for Climate
You may have heard people talking about an issue called ‘Climate change’. Climate change refers to an increase in the temperature of our planet. Warmer temperatures can cause natural disasters (floods, storms, droughts, bushfires, hurricanes, etc), rising sea levels, and the extinction (disappearance) of plants and animals.
Many people in New Zealand (and overseas) are worried about climate change, including Greta Thunberg, a 16 year old girl from Sweden. She believes that climate change is not only real, but that it is a “crisis”. She is upset that adults, particularly governments and powerful people, are not taking climate change seriously. In 2018 she began protesting outside the Swedish government buildings every Friday instead of going to school. She inspired the School Strike for Climate protests and, in 2019, spoke to the United Nations about her concerns. Not everyone, however, is convinced that climate change is really happening.

1. To not make any new oil and gas projects and that includes the Adani mine.
2. For us to try our absolute best to stop any type of coal
3. For every fossil-fuel workes helping them find a better job

What i do: I turn the lights off when I walk out of a room.
Bouns Activity.  “I Have a Dream”

Martin Luther King Jr was a Christian minister in the United States of America (USA) in the 1950s and 1960s. He spent much of his life fighting for equality (equal rights) for people of colour. At the time, there were laws that kept black and white people separated - they went to different schools, used different toilets, and even sat in different parts of a bus and ate in different areas of a restaurant. This was called ‘segregation.’Dr King did not agree with these laws and he led many protests against them. He was joined in his protests by many people, including an African American woman named Rosa Parks. In 1955, Rosa boarded a bus in Alabama (USA) and when the bus filled up with people, she refused to give up her seat to a white passenger. You can read about this famous incident here and watch a video about Rosa Parks here.The brave actions of people like Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa Parks were instrumental in changing the way that African Americans (people of colour) were treated in the United States.
They had to be separated from the white people go to different schools then the white people and use separate toilets. One of the people there did not agree with the law and he and many others protested but there was one of the people that protested with him the most and her name was Rosa Parks. One day she was on a bus and the law was if a white person doesn't have a seat you had to give your seat to them but Rosa refused. Rosa then became well knowen and she made everyone be treated equally. 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Nici,

    Great work on completing another Summer Learning Journey post - keep up the good work. Don’t forget to comment back to blog commenters as well as on others SLJ blog posts to gain extra points.

    Climate change is a massive threat to our planet and it's great to see people taking peaceful action and making changes in their lives to support the environment for our future.
    What can you tell me about the Adani mine? Why don't they want it to open?

    Great work on making sure you turn out the lights when you leave a room! Sometimes I forget too so I am mindful to remember when I leave a room too.

    Until next time, happy blogging :)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.