Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Day 1

For Four Weeks I will be posting on things about New Zealand. Today is the first day for the summer learning Journey and the title for today is In The Beginning ( 1800-1870).  Here are all the links for today's Activity's Polynesia Map  , The Arrival Of Maori , Maui And The Giant Fish , Waka  , Waka Ama , 2014 National Sprints - Master Men 500m Final


Activity One: Arriving in New Zealand 
Give three interesting facts About Maui
1.He caught the biggest fish in the world
2.He was the best fisher in his country
3.He can use his blood for bait
Activity Two: Setting To Sail
To imagine that we were on the Waka to be the first people to new Zealand and to write a letter to a friend.
Dear Hayley
It is so scary out here we are ruining out of food and I got put as the cook, and I have to fish to find a big fish to feed everyone. But i'm not the best fisher in the world the best fisher on the Waka Die because he fell over bored while fishing for a fish. I wish you were here with me.


This place is scary and not a place for me to. I hope I will see you before we both Die and not see anyone anymore.
Stay in touch.
Your Friend Nici

 Bonus Activity: Waka Ama
Watch a short video about Waka Ama Race and say if you want to be a Waka Ama racer one day or not.
I want to be Waka Ama Racer one day because it looks like a very fun sport.















1 comment:

  1. Hi Nici,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you this summer as part of the Summer Learning Journey program. It's great to see that you've made a start on these activities! Well done.

    Your facts about Maui are good. Have you read any other Maui stories? There's a really good one about Maui and the sun which you might enjoy. Here is the link if you would like to read it:
    http://eng.mataurangamaori.tki.org.nz/Support-materials/Te-Reo-Maori/Maori-Myths-Legends-and-Contemporary-Stories/How-Maui-slowed-the-sun

    Your letter is very good. I like how you have thought of a character to personalise in the letter. I wonder what sorts of things the settlers were looking forward to about landing in New Zealand.

    Waka Ama racing does look like a fun sport! I wonder what sorts of things you would need to do to prepare for a Waka Ama race. What do you think?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.